Monday, April 28, 2008

Wright Dukes it Out

A few years ago when we in the great state of Louisiana had the dubious choice between Edwards and Duke for governor. There was a nice bumper sticker I remember seeing: "Vote for the Crook, It's Important". So, I went in the voting booth, held my nose, and voted for the crook. (Note: I voted for Roemer in the open primary).

Now, we knew Edwards was a criminal and David Duke said a lot of things that "made sense". Duke had also somewhat repudiated the things he had done in the past as being youthful indiscretions. However, given the totality of Duke's past and that the motivations of his rhetoric were likely dubious, I simply could not vote for him.

I know Wright is not running for office, but Obama's lengthy tenure under his tutelage makes me wonder what motivations are behind Obama's rhetoric.

A bit about myself, my wife and I are white and we have four children, two biological and two adopted. The two adopted children are biracial (black/white), so, while I can never understand having dark skin, I do get some vicarious idea from rearing my children. Luckily we live in the New Orleans area, where there are many hues and shades of people and race relations is often very good.

No comments: